Gruesome new details revealed in death of black woman who fell from police car

An independent report has revealed gruesome new details in the death of a black woman who fell from a moving police car in Georgia.

Brianna Marie Grier, 28, was handcuffed in front of her body and not wearing a seat belt when she fell out of the patrol car, the GBI concluded after reviewing numerous interviews, body camera videos and conducting exhaustive mechanical tests last month.

Hancock County Sheriff’s deputies Timothy Legette and Marlin Primus, the sheriff’s brother, arrested Ms Grier after her family called 911 when she was experiencing a mental health crisis. The Daily Beast reported. She died six days later at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta following her July 15 arrest.

On Monday, civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump and University of Michigan Forensic Services Director Dr. Allecia Wilson held a press conference to discuss the findings of an independent review of Grier’s medical records.

Dr. Wilson, who also performed a preliminary autopsy on George Floyd back in 2020, said Grier had suffered two fractures to the left side of his skull, and multiple hematomas and bleeding consistent with blunt force trauma. At one point, Dr. Wilson said, Grier’s brain was so swollen that it moved from one side of her skull to the other.

An official cause and manner of death have not yet been released pending autopsy results by the GBI. Mr Crump on Monday asked the agency to quickly release preliminary findings.

He also claimed that deputies let Grier fall to the concrete at least twice before putting her in the car, and demanded that all bodycam footage recorded during the arrest be released.

Video released by the GBI last week from a deputy’s body camera shows Brianna on the floor and clearly in distress. Officers threatened to take her before she made threats to harm herself.

‘I’m not drunk. I haven’t had anything to drink. Bring out the breathing apparatus,” Mrs. Grier can be heard saying on video.

Grier’s parents, who also spoke at the conference, said they had sought help from first responders in the past when she had a mental health crisis, and an ambulance always took her to the hospital. It is unclear why an ambulance did not respond along with the police to the incident on July 15.

“My grandchildren ask me every day where their mom is … That’s why we’re here. We are trying to get answers so we can tell them what happened to their mother. So they can understand … so this doesn’t happen [any]more to any other young lady, to any parent,” Marvin Grier said as he took a photo of his late daughter.

The GBI said Grier was transported to be held overnight before receiving medical treatment the next morning.

“History is constantly changing. First, [Ms Grier’s parents] was told their 110 pound daughter had super strength and someone kicked a door open…they then tried to assassinate her character saying she jumped out of the car…then the GBI said they never closed the passenger back door. Mr. Crump claimed during the press conference on Monday.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigations confirmed on July 29 that Hancock County deputies failed to close the rear passenger door near where Grier was sitting.

The report also noted that “deputies believed he closed the rear passenger side” and that they allegedly had no other contact with Grier from the time she was placed in the car until she fell out of the moving vehicle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.